Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Diary of a P90X Failure (Ever Had a Fitness Flop?)

I saw this article on  the Glamour Magazine blog and thought it was great!  I'm certainly not posting it to encourage anyone to give up on their workout routine, but I DO think it's important to find what works for you and to always remember that CHANGE IS GOOD!  Hot Yoga might be great during 6 months of your life and terrible the rest of your life, and that doesn't mean you are a quitter or a bad person!  In fact, I admit without shame that I was planning to run my first half marathon this spring, but halfway through the training program I realized that this particular workout was making me more frustrated than happy, so I decided to try it at another time in my life.  And I don't think that makes me a wimp or a quitter, I like to think it makes me wise for listening to my body, and creating a better life balance. I hope you enjoy the article for what it's worth, too!
Sometimes there are health and fitness trends that we try and we ... bomb. It's OK. It's part of the journey to be healthier and happier. Hot yoga, barefoot running, and apparently P90X isn't for everyone. Popular blogger Liz Fenton is here to share her hilarious two-week experience...
0531-liz-fenton-_vg.jpg
Welcome Liz Fenton! Liz is an authorblogger and a newbie to P90X, the super-intense fitness program developed by workout guru Tony Horton and Beachbody. The grueling home exercise program combines cardio workouts, weight and resistance training, yoga, plyometrics, and stretching routines to improve coordination, flexibility, and strength. How did Liz fare? Well, let's let her tell us! Take it away Liz!

My P90X box had been sitting unopened since I forced sent my husband to buy it from some creepy guy from Craig’s List in the Walgreen’s parking lot last December. But with our vow renewal(ten years!) coming up, I knew it was time to get into shape. I needed to make sure that the ass-shaking dress that I bought for the renewal would jiggle in all the right places! But little did I know what we were in for….
Day 1: Decide that Tony, the trainer on the video, could possibly be the most annoying person on the planet. Am dying to mute but need his smug, know-it-all commentary to make sure I’m properly arching my back. Want to jump through the TV and rip his arms off so he’ll stop making an “X” with them.
Day 2: My inability to do one pull up or push up is slightly concerning. Getting on my knees feels like defeat but I decide it’s better than sitting on my ass saying. “This is so *#@% hard!”
Day 3: The Plylometrics DVD may just be the longest hour of my life. Tony keeps reminding us that this is “the mother of all workouts”(um, yeah, I think we figured that out!). And if he tells me to be light on my feet once more I might lose it-there is nothing light about my feet at this moment. Haven’t sweated this much since I wore wool pants too early last Fall.
Day 4: Have gained two pounds and decide to spend hours obsessively googling “Why do woman gain weight on P90X?” and try not to hate the hubs for having already lost five pounds. Take out my anger on him by criticizing his downward dog and smirk at his warrior pose during Yoga. Have decided to scream at the next person who tells me that muscle weighs more than fat.
Day 5: Slightly upset when I realize that Trainer Tony is growing on me and cringe when I hear myself tell my husband to “Do your best and forget the rest.” He responds by making his arms into an X. Not sure if he’s started drinking the P90X kool-aid too or if this is his new way of flipping me off. Want to die during the chair sits but other than that, feel like I kept up quite well. Have now officially exercised more with the hubs than in the entire twelve years we’ve been together.
Day 6: Still. Gaining. Weight. And my pants seem tighter too. It’s getting hard to log off Facebook and put myself through hell without any payoff. I become a slave to the scale.
Day 7: Catch a small cold and use this as an excuse to “take a fews days off” from Tony and his overly-toned, do-rag wearing army. The hubs follows suit.
Day 12: Hubs asks me if I’m ready to get back on the wagon. I turn up 30 Rock and act like I can’t hear him. Ironically, I’ve lost three pounds since secretly declaring myself a couch potato again.
Day 14: Officially give up and order Spanx. I know somewhere, Trainer Tony is shaking his head in disappointment. Guess I’ll have to live with that and cross my fingers that I’ll fit into my dress next weekend!
Love it. And, it makes me feel better about my less than ideal hot yoga experience. Let's face it, certain workouts aren't for everyone!


Read More http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/blogs/vitamin-g/2011/05/diary-of-a-p90x-failure-ever-h.html#ixzz1Nwjhl42C

1 comment:

  1. This is a classic Talese! Once more you rock the blogosphere!

    Keep the great posts coming, non-stop entertainment!

    ReplyDelete